[Yeti DNS Discuss] Ending properly the project

Paul Mockapetris pvm at a21.com
Tue Mar 6 14:37:24 UTC 2018

I’m a latecomer to the Yeti effort, but if folks are going to be at the IETF, maybe we could discuss it there?


From: discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.yeti-dns.org] On Behalf Of Davey?
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 02:28
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Cc: discuss
Subject: Re: [Yeti DNS Discuss] Ending properly the project


Hi Stephane,

Thank you for proposing the questions and the options. I think it's time for us to discuss about where should yeti go next after the 3-year due. I think BII will continue its role to support the operation of Yeti in any form AFAIK. 

Considering the experimental yeti, we need more enthusiastic ideas and people. Now I'm drafting a experiment proposal for new iana KSK Rollover. But I'm not sure you are interested. As to the operational yeti, I'm quite open for that. As I said before I'm happy to that happen. I agree that no matter which direction If we decide to move on, we should have clear target and enough resources.

Now I'm waiting for a flight in the airport. I can not share more. I'm willing to hear others' thought in this thread.


发自坚果 Pro 2

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> 于 2018年3月6日 下午5:28写道:

Project Yeti started its operations almost three years ago and the
project was planned for three years. I'm reminded of that because we
just ran out of money for one of the root name servers. I asked for
more (© Oliver Twist) but we have to take decisions for the future.

IMHO, there is no point in maintaining Yeti as it is. We made a
temporary experiment, it worked, great. Now, either we change the
project in a significant way (a Yeti-bis), or we shut down properly
(not waiting for the servers to vanish one after the other), with
comunication and documentation.

I see several possible choices:

* moving Yeti to something more operational (this requires money, and
commitment of resources)

* moving Yeti to something more experimental (trying stuff like
changing the content of the root zone) but who will design and run the

* closing

As I said, continuing in exactly the same way seems pointless to
me. There is clearly no more experimental work and/or analysis

discuss mailing list
discuss at lists.yeti-dns.org


This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.yeti-dns.org/pipermail/discuss/attachments/20180306/0b8564b2/attachment.html>

More information about the discuss mailing list