[Yeti DNS Discuss] Ending properly the project

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Mar 6 09:27:44 UTC 2018

Project Yeti started its operations almost three years ago and the
project was planned for three years. I'm reminded of that because we
just ran out of money for one of the root name servers. I asked for
more (© Oliver Twist) but we have to take decisions for the future.

IMHO, there is no point in maintaining Yeti as it is. We made a
temporary experiment, it worked, great. Now, either we change the
project in a significant way (a Yeti-bis), or we shut down properly
(not waiting for the servers to vanish one after the other), with
comunication and documentation.

I see several possible choices:

* moving Yeti to something more operational (this requires money, and
commitment of resources)

* moving Yeti to something more experimental (trying stuff like
changing the content of the root zone) but who will design and run the
experiments?

* closing

As I said, continuing in exactly the same way seems pointless to
me. There is clearly no more experimental work and/or analysis
performed.