[Yeti DNS Discuss] ATR: Additional Truncated Response for Large DNS Response

'Stephane Bortzmeyer' bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Sep 5 11:40:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 06:15:13PM +0800,
 Davey Song <ljsong at biigroup.cn> wrote
 a message of 51 lines which said:

> I wrote a draft for large response issue(do not submit yet). I have
> a repo on Github and test script. Comments are welcome.

I've read it, and it seems OK. Curious to see the dnsop reactions :-)

Any public zone using it on its authoritative name servers, for
testing?

>   Especially regarding the coming KSK rollover, if the root server
>   implements ATR rather than setting IPv6-edns-size to 1220 octets,
>   it will helpful for resolver with TCP capacity, because it still
>   has a fair chance to receive the large response.

Note that, even in the best case, ATR won't be significantly deployed
before the root key rollover. So, it may be better to replace "it
will" by "it would have help".

> DNS TCP function is stripped even for modern DNS implementations

There are many reasons why 17 % of resolvers cannot use TCP. It's not
always the resolver's fault, it can be a stupid middlebox in the path.