[Yeti DNS Discuss] [daisuke.higashi at gmail.com: UDP checksum]

Shane Kerr shane at biigroup.cn
Mon Mar 21 08:09:09 UTC 2016

Stephane,

On 2016-03-20 20:11:12+0100 (Sunday)
Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 07:04:57PM +0100,
>  Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote
>  a message of 171 lines which said:
>
> > If someone has the patience to check this on Yeti root name
> > servers...
>
> Oooops, I was stupid: Yeti is IPv6-only and, with IPv6, UDP checksum
> is mandatory.

I agree that it is quite surprising to find an Internet server that
disables UDP checksum (or doesn't implement it at all).

Perhaps we need new t-shirts that say:

    IPv6. 96 more bits, no magic. (Except mandatory UDP checksum.)

Or maybe:

    IPv6. 96 more bits, no magic. (Except for 1280 byte MTU.)

Or maybe:

    IPv6. 96 more bits, no magic. (But don't expect UDP fragmentation
    to work.)

Or maybe IPv6 does have magic after all? :P