[Yeti DNS Discuss] more test traffic

Daniel Stirnimann daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch
Tue Jan 19 07:59:26 UTC 2016

Hi Shane

What exactly is the BUPT approach? SWITCH is operating the Swiss NREN.
We could setup an opt-in wireless SSID that relies on Yeti for root
services as well. However, I wonder if that approach is for our guest
wireless network only or if you talk about all wireless access points at
all universities. The later seems very hard to do as we don't manage
them our self.

If you talk about Géant, do you envision something like eduroam
(https://www.eduroam.org/) for Yeti?

Daniel

On 18.01.16 19:54, Shane Kerr wrote:
> Paul & all,
>
> On 2016-01-17 15:43:00-0800 (Sunday)
> Paul Vixie <vixie at tisf.net> wrote:
>
>> the yeti project's traffic load is still very light. we're seeing
>> test traffic from the cznic lab and a few other places, but not
>> enough real traffic. several of us have switched our home or laptop
>> resolvers to use the yeti hints and keys, because we're
>> outage-tolerant.
>>
>> where can we find more outage-tolerant live real traffic?
>>
>> (note, i thought of forking the yeti server base into a
>> outage-intolerant set and an outage-tolerant set, but the yeti
>> coordinators wisely decided that this sounded too non-experimental
>> and that we must continue to avoid any path that looks like
>> outage-intolerant production level operations. so, i withdrew the
>> suggestion.)
>
> I'm going to be visiting the SURFnet office next week and will discuss
> replicating the BUPT approach for some Dutch academic campuses among
> other topics. (This approach is using an opt-in wireless SSID that
> relies on Yeti for DNS root services.)
>
> If that works, I know people at HEAnet and Nordunet that I might be
> able to convince. If we think big, we can even try working through
> Géant. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Shane

SWITCH
Daniel Stirnimann, SWITCH-CERT
Werdstrasse 2, P.O. Box, 8021 Zurich, Switzerland
phone +41 44 268 15 15, direct +41 44 268 16 24
daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch, http://www.switch.ch