[Yeti DNS Discuss] List of experiments and possible dates

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Jan 15 14:09:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 08:49:04PM +0800,
 Shane Kerr <shane at biigroup.cn> wrote
 a message of 24 lines which said:

> I've finally put together a list of possible experiments as well as
> some possible timeline for the first few of them.
>
> As usual, this is in GitHub. You can see the document here:
>
> https://github.com/shane-kerr/Yeti-Project/blob/experiment-list/doc/Experiment-Schedule.md

Great list. Let's do them, our servers are useless, otherwise.

> It will also exercise the KSK rollover communication plan:
> https://github.com/shane-kerr/Yeti-Project/blob/yeti-ksk-communication-plan/doc/KSK-rollover-communication-plan.md

This document is too limited. For instance, it does not warn
resolver's operators to check that RFC 5011 is activated and available
on their resolvers.

> The current set of root server operators only results in a message
> of 881 bytes from a priming query.

Without DNSSEC. With the DO bit, it is 1039 bytes (the glue is not
signed). draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming-06 says "The resolver MAY
set the DNSSEC OK [RFC4033] bit."

> Rename Servers to .YETI [...] This may be considered a modification
> of the root zone, so may be out of scope. Discussion is needed.

I know that we pledged "complete fealty to IANA as the DNS name space
manager. All IANA top-level domain names will be precisely expressed
in the Yeti DNS system, including all TLD data and meta-data." But,
IMHO, it should be interpreted as "we won't add dummy TLD to
getRichFast, nor will we redelegate .com to a Verisign's
competitor". It does not mean we should refrain to do harmless
experiments, unlikely to create a "collision" with any ICANN TLD.

> to change to an ecliptic curve

elliptic :-)