[Yeti DNS Discuss] ipv6 root name service discussed (gih blog)

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Mon Dec 12 08:31:23 UTC 2016

I am subscribed to this list, and I am happy to answer any question anyone may have about this.

While there is no perfect approach here for IPv6 I believe that the potential pitfalls of the combination of large DNS responses and IPv6 lie in an approach of using a large MTU for UDP and reacting to an ICMPv6 PTB - It's not clear if the 10 minute MTU cache lifetime used by some of the root servers is worth it, and frankly it could well be dropped to a smaller interval without much in the way of negative side effects, but this approach of starting large and dropping in response to MTU is, as far as I can tell, a path that minimises the other pitfalls.

regards,

  Geoff