[Yeti DNS Discuss] Yeti experience document

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Nov 18 20:20:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 01:12:13AM +0800,
 Davey(宋林健) <ljsong at biigroup.cn> wrote
 a message of 1016 lines which said:

> I recently compose a document to summarize yeti testbed experience
> and technical findings. It is  mainly base on the content introduced
> in Yeti  workshop. I plan to post to IETF through independent
> submission as an informational or experimental draft,

I noticed that it is hosted (and edited) at Google Docs. Since it is
written in XML, it is may be not very convenient. Why not host it at
Github, with the rest of the Yeti content? We could then do forks and
pull requests.

> Currently, there are 12 DNS Root Server operators for the 13 Root
> Server letters, with more than 500 instances deployed globally.  Yet
> compared to the number of connected devices, AS networks, and
> recursive DNS servers, the number of root instances is far from
> sufficient.

True but note that, for many people, if the .com and .net name servers
are not reachable, the result is almost the same as a failure of the
root. (Before you say "but people use .org, .cn, .fr, etc" check the
number of domains in these zones, whose all name servers are under
.com or .net.)

> Even when one or more root name server anycast instances are
> deployed locally or in a nearby network, the queries sent to the
> root servers carry DNS lookup information which enables root
> operators or other parties to analyze the DNS query traffic.

Same remark (and you could cite RFC 7626)

> There is no dynamic update mechanism to inform resolvers and other
> Internet infrastructure relying on root service of such changes.

Priming is (partially) such a mechanism.

>   o  the serial when this information is active

You mean the SOA? (Or else I don't understand)

> The motivation of this naming scheme in Yeti is that it
> intentionally produces larger packets for priming responses.

Note that currently, the Yeti root has a priming response which is
almost the same size as the IANA root. Yeti has no compression, and
has one more name server, but it also has no IPv4 addresses.