[Yeti DNS Discuss] Classes in DNS (Was: Question

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Jul 2 14:31:29 UTC 2015

> > I was wondering if you will solely be focusing on the INternet
> > class (CLASS 1)? Because I can imagine it would be interesting to
> > add other classes

Before doing so, remember that the ITU did try an "experiment", named
Net4d, in the hope to get an hold on other classes, leaving ICANN/USG
only with IN. AFAIK, it produced nothing (no surprise for an ITU
project)

It was in 2009 and was hosted here (now down):
<http://net4d.org/>. Because of ITU backing, it has some success in
the press (see, in french,
<http://www.lemonde.fr/technologies/article/2009/10/02/les-65-000-concurrents-de-l-icann_1248113_651865.html>,
"ICANN's 65 0000 competitors") For those who read french, my analysis of Net4D
is still there <http://www.bortzmeyer.org/net4d.html> Two criticisms
in english are
<http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2009-09/msg00331.html> and
<http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2009-09/msg00326.html>

> We are currently still in the phase of adding more participants to
> the project. When we get "enough" (we are targeting 25 by the end of
> the summer) then we will begin the experimental phase, where we
> actually do the kind of tests that you are describing here.

This particular test does not seem very interesting: I have no doubt
the DNS servers will work with classes, the issue is with applications!

> Are you interested in running a Yeti root, either as SIDN or an individual
> (both are possible - we just need a host on a good IPv6 connection).

And it's fun :-)