[Yeti DNS Discuss] RIPE Atlas DomainMON for Yeti

Shane Kerr shane at biigroup.cn
Tue Dec 8 21:15:39 UTC 2015

Davey,

If you click on a server, you will see the RIPE Atlas probes that are
performing the measurements. The probes currently being used:

AR (Argentina)
CZ (Czech Republic)
DE (Germany)
FR (France)
GB (United Kingom)
IT (Italy)
NZ (New Zealand)
SK (Slovakia)
UA (Ukraine)
US (United States)

It is hardly surprising that the response times are large!

If you click on (for example) one of the Dahu servers you'll see that
they get good response times from European probes (not surprising) and
bad response from times from other probes (also not surprising).

This is the system working as designed.

During the RIPE Atlas Hackathon in Amsterdam I actually did some work
with a few other people to compare the response times of servers with
the minimum possible response time, based on the distance between the
probe and the target server on the globe and the speed of light
through glass. In that case it was for checking the quality of anycast
networks (I was working for Dyn and they have a moderately-sized
anycast deployment). However, we can use a similar technique to compare
the connectivity of the Yeti servers as well.

I don't know if something like that is worth it, because I don't really
expect to learn anything, beyond discovering that the IPv6 Internet is a
bit crap. ;) But it is also good to confirm ideas with data....

On 2015-12-09 01:47:31+0800 (Wednesday)